Stratepedia’s Coaching Calendar moving to Hoxie: What you need to know
This is an important message for anyone using Coaching Calendar, our tool for scheduling and tracking instructional coaching.
Before anyone asks: No, we’re not opening access to Coaching Calendar or Hoxie to schools outside of Virginia. Expect an announcement on this subject in the coming months. This message is for schools currently using Coaching Calendar and Hoxie.
Stratepedia’s coaching tools are being integrated into Hoxie, our school-wide analytics tool for schools implementing the Content Literacy Continuum and related interventions. Data will be migrated from Coaching Calendar into Hoxie on December 28. After that point you will sign into Hoxie to access coaching tools and data. We will work with your school’s liaisons from the Center for Research on Learning to schedule demonstrations via webinar for anyone who’s interested.
Why this is happening
In 2006, I began building software to help CLC schools collect and analyze data on implementation and instructional coaching. The two resulting tools, Dossier and Coaching Calendar, were built from the ground up with suggestions and feedback from the people using them in schools. The resulting tools accommodated many of the requests we got, but ultimately resulted in software that was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain for the long haul. That’s a drawback to the rapid prototyping-style approach we took to the projects, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything–we were able to collectively understand what the real problems were, and what it was we needed to build to solve them.
Last summer, we unveiled Hoxie, our platform for uniting these tools into a cohesive package. This semester, site leads and school administrators have been using Hoxie to collect walkthrough data on laptops, tablets, and handhelds. We’re now putting the finishing touches on the next iteration of Hoxie, which will incorporate the functionality we provided in Coaching Calendar. We’ve totally overhauled the coaching tools, taking the ideas we’ve received from you over the years as our model, to make it easier for you to capture coaching data and use it in decision-making moving forward.
What to expect
If things go according to plan, we will shut down Coaching Calendar on Wednesday, December 28. At that time we’ll take a snapshot of the data currently housed in Coaching Calendar and migrate this information to the coaching tools in Hoxie. At that point Hoxie will be ready to record data on coaching activity in your school, so when you return to your building in January the new tools will be at your disposal.
Once you’ve logged in, you’ll see a completely overhauled set of tools for scheduling and recording coaching. We’re still working on the final user interface, and I’ll post screen shots as they’re available, but for now just know that we’ve got the following long-requested features ready to go:
- The coaching report form has been updated to properly record why coaching is being sought, as well as action items resulting from the meeting. Think of it as an advance organizer and post organizer for your coaching activity. This form was built with advice from Jim Knight, and your feedback will also be appreciated.
- Coaching appointments can have multiple teachers (and coaches) assigned to them!
- You can record unscheduled coaching any time, without the previous overhead that Coaching Calendar required.
- Scheduling coaching activity on any given day is streamlined. We’ve done away with the massive, unwieldy form for setting up all coaching on a single day. Now you can select each coach and fine tune his or her schedule.
- And last but certainly not least: No more separate usernames and passwords for Hoxie and Coaching Calendar! From now on you’ll just access Hoxie.
If a feature you were hoping for isn’t on this list, don’t worry. We’ll continue iterating and adding functionality in the coming months. At this point it’s important for us to get the foundation in place and build from there.
Amber and I will be happy to give you a demonstration of the new tools in January. We will work with Diane, Dana, and Kendall to schedule webinars for anyone who would like to watch and learn.
Some other things you should know
- If you have an account in Coaching Calendar, it will be migrated to Hoxie. You will need to reset your password to access your account. This process requires you to have access to the email address you used to set up your Coaching Calendar account, and will only take a few minutes to complete.
- If you already have a Hoxie account, your Coaching Calendar data will be tied to this account and no further action will be required on your part.
- Just to reiterate, any data in Coaching Calendar on December 28 will be migrated to Hoxie and accessible to you after that. This includes both past coaching activity and upcoming availability.
- Although we’ve made it a great deal easier for coaches to handle their own schedules, Amber and I are still happy to assist with getting things set up at your school. Just send me an email.
- Hoxie is a small town in western Kansas. When we don’t have a name for a new service we code name it after a random Kansas town. We’ve yet to come up with a better name for this tool, so Hoxie it is.
- Coming this week: Record unscheduled coaching in Coaching Calendar
- Coaching Calendar updates going online tomorrow, June 19
- Coaching Calendar pre-preview
- Coaching Calendar: Small addition to appointment scheduling
- 5 thing to know about Hoxie, our new online data tool for CLC