5 Android and iPhone apps to use while traveling
I’m going to piggy-back off Aaron’s tips for traveling with technology and share a few apps to use on iPhone (and other Apple mobile devices) or Android while traveling this busy holiday season. Whether you’re taking a plane, train, or automobile these apps can save you time, money, and a headache or two.
1. Flight Tracker. This app is a little pricier, but very handy if you fly often. Available for $4.99, on both iPhone and iPad, this app displays maps and real-time departure information. You can also track flights in progress, delays, cancellations, and gate numbers. I have used this app several times in the airport and usually know when a flight is delayed before the airline even makes the announcement. Android Market offers a similar app for free.
2. The app for your airline of choice. I fly Southwest and Delta frequently, so these are the two apps I keep on my phone. Most airlines offer a free app to help you track flights and receive notifications. These apps allow you to check in early and view an itinerary on your mobile device as well.
3. Sigalert. This free app, available for most Apple mobile devices, reports road conditions and the current average speed. The app is pretty quick to pick up traffic delays due to accidents, weather, or construction. You can also view traffic cameras for most major U.S. highways. I do not have experience with a similar Android app, so please share in the comments section if you have a recommendation for us!
5. Amtrak. Taking the train instead? This free app from Amtrak keeps tabs on your train’s status and helps to locate a station. You can also buy tickets and access your itinerary on the go. Android offers a similar free app here.
Happy holidays and safe travels!
- Adobe’s mobile apps coming to Android tablets
- A real look at Siri, and how to get Siri-like functionality on your older iPhone or Android
- 5 iPhone/iPad/iPod touch apps for professional learning
- Use Google Maps to navigate indoors with Android
- What apps are on your iPhone?